Sunday, January 1, 2017

Essential Oils and Natural Remedies

So, I am sure you are aware of the oils fad. There are so many different companies to choose from, and the grades and prices can be a bit confusing. I love oils, and I am all about using natural approaches to help our kiddos (and myself!). That being said, do what fits your life and your solution. Maybe you have a great natural food store, maybe your friend sells oils, maybe you do yourself. Either way, one important thing is to check your resources and find not only a good product but one that is pure. I use Melaleuca oils (pure grade), and with a $1 joining fee for membership right now it's a great time to order. I order all their cleaning products as well and some of their snacks. I know that even if a small child was to ingest them the worst would be diarrhea heading our way. So, I love them!!
When looking into oils there are single oils and blend oils, and a ton of google searches to help you how to navigate their uses. I also have purchased from DoTerra (a bit pricey, but some of the oils like Digest Zen-used for indigestion and stomach aches-I haven't found elsewhere, plus they are also an excellent grade). The ones in the store are hard to tell if they are pure, but honestly if they work for you then great! As far as some of my essential oil favorites for my kiddo with sensory needs are: Peace (Melaleuca) or Serenity (DoTerra) for calming emotions and creating relaxation, Sharpen (Melaleuca) or Balance (DoTerra) for focus and clarity of mind (great for putting on before going to school), Lavender (Melaleuca) for calmness and preparing for sleep, Vitalize (Melaleuca) or Citrus Bliss (DoTerra) (for emotional happiness, helps with depression or moodiness). I also use Armor (Melaleuca) or On Guard (DoTerra) to help with immune support. It's been shown time and time again those with SPD become sick more easily because their bodies don't know their body is needing rest (exhaustion, virus fighting doesn't signal to the brain in time) and they only slow down when they become sick (mine doesn't slow down until 102 fever). When he's calmly sitting watching a movie instead of climbing across the back of the couch as he watches we know there is a problem. Sometimes we can't avoid the sugar intake, or synthetic dyes or wheat our child has ingested and they need to detox. My best solution so far has been using Oregano Oil (either company, but they are cheaper through Melaleuca) on his feet. Please, please use caution with this oil. You MUST use a carrier oil with it (I use Coconut Oil through Melaleuca, but one from a store works just fine, I have also heard Grape Seed oil works just as well). I use a bit more than a dime size of the coconut oil, then add 2-3 drops (more is not necessarily better) of Oregano and rub it on the soles of his feet (wear gloves or you will smell of it more than your child). It's not the best smelling but I always remind my son he should have been thinking about that when he ate the candy cane with Red 40 in it! (he's 9 so he does know better, your child might not understand yet, so I would explain this will help their tummy and their body to feel calm again). I usually do this at bed time and make sure you put socks on them as it can stain sheets, etc. or get oil on the floor (so not great for a light colored carpet and might stain). For extreme anxiety, or when he seems to be having meltdowns I use Geranium (both companies sell it) which helps anxiety especially in people with Aspergers. Other great oils to help after a meltdown (or if one looks like they are coming) are Peace (Melaleuca) or Citrus Bliss (DoTerra)-these are my son's favorite!

The most important thing to remember when introducing oils to your child is that it is a positive experience. Don't force the oils on them, you don't want it to have a negative effect or cause overstimulation (which is counter productive to what you were doing in the first place). I let them take a small sniff and ask them if they like it. Most times you place them on the inside of the wrist, but if that is not desired anywhere on the body works. I have said to my son if he doesn't want it there where would he like it. It gives them a sense of control (choices are everything!) Sometimes he will say his arm, or his back. Anything is better than nothing and the skin is the largest organ so it will help them no matter where you place it. I would only suggest the Oregano Oil not be placed anywhere else since it can have a hot sensation (which is important to use with a carrier oil and in small amounts).

One more oil I use (yes, I am a little addicted, but if it works, why not!!) is CBD oil. These oils are meant for those with anxiety (which to most SPD kids looks like hyperactivity) and is also great for people (kids and adults) with ADHD and Aspergers. We have tried a few different companies and this is the only one that worked, so be careful where you buy it. We buy this one and my son has 50mg at bed time or in the morning before school (if we notice him having difficulty at home with listening, or staying on task, or way too hyper to go to bed).
 Orange 100 Product Shot
I even use it myself when I am feeling overwhelmed or highly anxious (which is uncommon for me). It does NOT have TSH (the hemp seed known to produce a high) in it. It is from the other seed, so it's not habit forming and non-addictive.

Whatever you choose, your child needs to be on board with. We enjoyed smelling different oils and choosing which ones "we" liked. You could pick the ones you know you will enjoy and see if your child likes them as well!

Here are the sites again:
Melaleuca
DoTerra
CBD oil 100mg

Please comment and subscribe to receive more info and stay updated on more tips.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of really good information that can help adults as well. I appreciate all the research you have done!

    ReplyDelete